Manhattan College is an independent Lasallian Catholic institution of higher learning that embraces qualified men and women of all faiths, cultures and traditions. The mission of Manhattan College is to provide a contemporary, person-centered educational experience that prepares graduates for lives of personal development, professional success, civic engagement and service to their fellow human beings. The College pursues this mission through programs that integrate a broad liberal education with concentration in specific disciplines in the arts and sciences or with professional preparation in business, education and engineering.
Established in 1853 by the Institute of the Brothers of the Christian Schools, the College continues to draw its inspiration from the heritage of John Baptist de La Salle, the innovator of modern pedagogy and patron saint of teachers. Among the hallmarks of this Lasallian heritage are excellence in teaching, respect for human dignity, reflection on faith and its relation to reason, an emphasis on ethical conduct and commitment to social justice.
(Mission statement approved by the Manhattan College Board of Trustees, June 2012)
The Manhattan College faculty and staff are committed to the five core values set forth by John Baptist de La Salle, as represented by the five points of the Lasallian star:
- Respect for All People: We honor and respect the dignity of all individuals.
- Quality Education: We engage in quality education together as students, staff and faculty by thinking critically and examining our world in light of faith.
- Inclusive Community: We celebrate diversity and welcome all members to our community.
- Concern for the Poor and Social Justice: We are in solidarity with the poor and advocate for those suffering from injustices.
- Faith in the Presence of God: We believe in the living presence of God in our students, in our community and in our world.
If you are interested in learning more about the online graduate programs at Manhattan College, call an Admissions Counselor at 855-841-2843 or request more information.